Re: Laser Ignition / cam profiles

To: "Keith Turk" <kturk@adelphia.net>, "DrMayf" <drmayf@teknett.com>,
Subject: Re: Laser Ignition / cam profiles
From: wester6935@comcast.net
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 16:03:11 +0000
In racing ... like comedy ... timig is everything.

I see this as a potential cam grinders problem.  When 50% of your power comes
at what would have to be at least 1 degree after TDC, the problem and the
additional power to be gained is in the remaining burn before the exhaust valve
opens.  I can imagine some wild cam lobe profiles.

Would this technology work better with some other valving?  Desmodromic valve
control or some of the other valving systems suggested over the years that are
totally impractical when compared with the current OHV engines?

I can see some HUGE HP increases and some major engine damage depending on
exact timing vs. something slipping to advance a very few degrees.

Wes