Cooling and Water Pumps --- Again

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Cooling and Water Pumps --- Again
From: "DrMayf" <drmayf@teknett.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 07:20:57 -0800
This is a serious thread and we could all benefit from the answer. Does any
one of us actually have data that shows the parameters of interest? Such as
pump speed, actual flow, actual pressure at maybe some different points in
an engine, temperature, water volume in circulation, surface area of any
tanks, radiator properties, air temp and humidity when the data was taken,
hp being produced under full boogie and probably some more. If we do no
thave data, then it all fall back into the category of bench racing and
opinion. Not wrong, just maybe not good science or engineering.  Surely
someone among us has real data? No, I am not talking about going to the
Stewart web site.. but real race data?

It is my understanding that the NASCAR folk use high pressure systems for
their cooling. It is my opinion that they do this because they use plain old
water, no additives except maybe a wetter, for cooling heat transfer. They
need the high pressure to move the boiling point up the curve because the
must keep it going for hours at a time. It may be that the high pressure
prevents nucleate boiling and hot spots but it is my opinion that the reason
is moving the boiling point . Why, well an otto cycle thermodynamic engine
makes more power the hotter it is. And if you are not dumping water and it
is 270 degres, it is not too hot.

Anyway, just more questions, more fun, more opinions, etc. Off to breakfast
with Skip, Dale, Gary (whose car is coming along nicely in the shop),

mayf off planet in Pahrump and good morning to you all...