RE: Basic maintenance 101

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Basic maintenance 101
From: "John Staiger" <lsrvette@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 08:21:16 -0400
Ed,

OK - here's the deal.  The IRL engine I am running absolutely needs
preheating as the main bearings only have a thou clearance cold.  I
researched most of the "store bought" varieties as found at
Midget/Sprint/Stock Car races. they were mostly electric and man can they
draw the current!  And then there is the cost. a grand to own one and a 4500
- 6000 watt generator. not what I had in mind.  The IRL/CART Big boy stuff
is priced off the charts, so.  A couple of months ago, Gary Hensley and I
were visited C&R in Indianapolis.  There in the corner was this little unit
sitting and begging for attention [ever see a piece of equipment beg for
attention?].  C&R pointed out it is new to the market, could heat engine
water, oil and trans/diff oil all at the same time and ran on just about any
fuel you could put in it. hmm. and double hmm. I ask them what it cost [7k]
and after Gary gave me CPR I walked out thinking I had to know how they did
it. so more research and then I stumbled into the answer. a
buss/marine/heavy equipment/military diesel engine cold weather heater.
They sell new for 1,8 to 3k but do to the volume made they can be found in
junk yards or as I did - eBay for a few hundred.

I found a unit brand new, military surplus made by Benmar [Hupp Mobile
Products Div.] for heating Military diesel engines destined for the Artic.
The unit measures 20" long by 10" square and weights 22lbs empty.  This
includes everything from the controller, heater, water pump and mount.  I
only need to add a small amount of power - 24v [surplus military or heavy
equipment in my case] at 8 amps [much more reasonable], a lawnmower fuel
tank, a couple of switches and some jiff-tite fittings.  I am supplying the
24v via a couple of small ridding lawnmower batteries in series and a small
surplus 24v charger but you could use a DC to DC converter and run it from a
push truck or just find a 12v version [non military].  These units are very
nice -- stainless steel heat exchanger and combustion chamber, generate
30,000btu and pumps 80gph on diesel 1, 2, JP4, JP6, JP8, Kerosene, etc.  Oh
- and to heat the oil at the same time or multiple oils for that matter,
just add water to fluid head exchanger and a VERY small pump or be fancy and
reclaim the heat from the exhaust?...  Again - eBay is an excellent source
as these NASCAR guys keep dumping there stuff out there after every race. or
should I say wreck.

Now it should be noted that the above are the thoughts of a demented,
what-a-be LSR record holder and should not for any reason be considered
sound practice or even a good idea.

John

PS .  I have two of these units and only need one if anyone is interested
contact me off net.