Re: NonLSR - saving the planet/alternative fuels Part1

To: Jon Wennerberg <jon@infodestruction.com>
Subject: Re: NonLSR - saving the planet/alternative fuels Part1
From: Wester Potter <wester6935@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2006 10:24:50 -0600
A side note ...

A friend is a collector of old books.  He has documentation that a good
portion of the "rags" used for fine paper making in the early 18th
century were actually unwrapped from around Egyptian mummies.  Tomb
raiders would collect and sell them and shiploads were offloaded along
the east coast of the US to be made into paper.

That fiber is actually Ramie, a bast fiber related to linen, that is
from the reeds that grow along river banks in northern Africa.  It is
still in use as a clothing fiber today.  primarily in Third World
countries.  Cotton and linen rags are still in demand in the paper
industry but the dyes used to color fabric are more and more difficult
to remove which is why you are seeing an increase in "quality" papers
that are tinted rather than extremely white.

Wes