Re: destroke 302

To: Phillip Landry <saltracer@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: destroke 302
From: drmayf <drmayf@mayfco.com>
Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2007 19:46:56 -0800
Hey, Phil, nice catch on the rod ratio thingy. But the article points
out something I raised earlier. Everything in this article is anecdotal.
There is not one piece of real evidence or data in it. It is all
somebody said. When you pick up a text book to learn something there is
always data to show why something is better. In this case there may be
data in the form of dyno pulls etc but I have found over some time that
dynos are not repeatable run to run within a few percent and that is the
kind of differences being made. And I find that when these folks do
tests to determine how well a mod performs they always change a zillion
othe rthings along the way. No way to easily sort out the effects of the
one from the others.

In any case, no matter what, I think you can make a fine 260 from a
modern 302 / 5.0 motor. It will require a pretty short stroke but in
this case that is better because the short stroke will mean that some of
the counter weight on the crank can be removed as well to reducr
rotating mass, IMHO...  Keep us posted on your progress?

mayf