Re: Another - thought on Engine Setbacks

To: ddahlgren@snet.net, gmc6power@earthlink.net, Sparky.2211@cox.net,
Subject: Re: Another - thought on Engine Setbacks
From: FastmetalBDF@aol.com
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2007 13:56:23 EST
Just my thought here, but if the driveshaft and tranny and / or  bellhousing
are of the same dimensions, front- to-rear, after switching to  a V6 from a V8
wouldn't it now be the front sparkplug that would be further back  while the
flywheel would be in the same position relative to the rear wheels  ?   This
would render the car illegal if the V8 was already set back  the maximum amount
allowable under the class rules ..... the shorter block  length would be the
guilty culprit here, necessitating a longer  driveshaft, no ?
    Bruce, who still has the jigs I welded up in the 60s to  quickly make the
engine setbacks 'exactly right on' for the 10% allowed in the  gasser classes
by the NHRA rulebook.  For the street I found  sliding the rear ahead a few
inches was much easier( no involved firewall,  linkage and new motor mount
problems )and far more effective at  putting the weight where it was needed for
traction ...... and it turned out to  be a negative in the winter when my '55
Chev sedan delivery was plowing(  understeer )more than normal on a street with
even a  little bit snow.   We live and learn  ......

PS: Speaking of winter ..... it seems the global warming the scientists  have
been predicting for some time now is already here ....... maybe not in
Denver, but it is here in New England    ~