Re: [Land-speed] Tire Valves

To: land-speed <land-speed@autox.team.net>, Kirkwood <saltfever@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Land-speed] Tire Valves
From: Dale Krumheuer <dmirror3@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2010 08:45:30 -0800 (PST)
The metal valve stem caps replacing a plastic caps are a different issue apart
from  rubber valve stems.

Quality metal valve stem caps have a gasket to better seal the valve stem.
When you think about why that matters, picture the centrifugal force exerted
on the center pin of a Schraeder valve. The faster the wheel spins,
centrifugal force increases. The centrifugal load  on  the center pin of a
Schraeder valve can cause the valve to partially open. Having a quality metal
cap with a gasket will reduce (not stop) air escape through the valve stem.

Metal valve stems are in use on tubeless motorcycle wheels. Motorcycle wheels
are not threaded for accepting the valve stem.
Metal motorcycle valve stems are threaded on the exterior, securing/clamping
the stem through the wheel with gaskets and nuts.

For automotive use, I still prefer a quality rubber valve stem for
flexibility, with a metal cap. For a motorcycle, metal stems are protected
from accidental impact as they are generally in the center of the wheel, out
of harms way.

Dale
Cleveland OH

Wisdom begins in wonder.Socrates