lotus-cars

Europa into Cortina

To: <lotus-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: Europa into Cortina
From: shiples@comcast.net
Date: Sun, 09 May 2004 12:04:58 -0700
At 05:52 AM 5/9/2004 -0700, Carl McLelland wrote:
>Steve,
>Either talk to Ken or the "Big Boss", Dave (Bean) about carbs. Dave keeps
>someone 'hidden' out at his ranch that's otherwise out of the DBE spotlight
>who may be a source of info on carbs. Next thing would be Dave's catalogs on
>the engines.
>
>In the meantime, what are your carb questions. Throw them out here and maybe
>we can help.....
>     Carl

I'm resurrecting a 1965 Lotus Cortina and the correct twin cam engine is
the most expensive missing piece.    I took Ken's advice and bought a
Europa motor and now I have to turn it into a Cortina motor.

Basic choices are SU's or Webers.  To go with Webers I have to find a Weber
head
@ $1000 used or $3500 new.  Or DB will modify the Europa head for $1400.

Two goals; Authenticity and Performance.  The basic constraint, my wallet.

So what I'm looking for is opinions on which head and what should be done
to it.
Then once we've selected the plan of attack on the head, what kind of
carburetion?

The cheapest solution (I think) would be to use SUs.  Does anyone know of any
used carbs to get this engine running?

Steve Shipley
1965 LoCort