mg-mmm

British Registration number list

To: NA-MMM <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>
Subject: British Registration number list
From: Pat Mullen <pmullen@telus.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 13:44:51 -0800
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Fellow NA-MMMers,

I found the message at the bottom from Mike Rambour on the British Cars
Autox.net and tested out the URL for myself.
As you see from my response below to Mike, there is a lot of valuable
info on the web site whose URL is:

 http://www.csm.uwe.ac.uk/~cjwallac/apps/car/carenq

Be patient - the site sometime takes a couple of minutes to come up.

Cheers..... Pat (1936 NB - NA0895)

Mike,

My UF8475 also came up as not recognised on this site.

However by clicking on "Implementation Documentation" and then on "Area
Codes sorted by Code" OR on "Area Codes sorted by Area" you get a 10
page list (which you can print of course) and this has both your US as
Glasgow and my UF as Brighton.

You can also get the prefixes and suffixes used from the early sixties
on.

One more thing. When I was a Brit some half a century ago I lived just
outside Sutton in Surrey and I always understood that my 1936 Rudge
motorcycle EPA 946 indicated that it had been originally registered in
Sutton (which is a smallish town about 20 miles from Guildford). Chris's
site gives Guildford as the area town for all the codes PA-PH and PJ-PM.
Probably I was mistaken but is there a chance that area codes were
originally allocated to a smaller area than one as large as Guildford or
Glasgow or Brighton, but that later on several codes were combined for
use in larger areas?
If so there might possibly be a source list somewhere which wd enable us
to locate a car's original place of registration with even greater
precision than Chris's own excellent list.

Chris Wallace states that he last updated the lists on 1997 July 30.

Cheers.....Pat (near Vancouver, BC, Canada)