mg-mmm

Re: British Registration number list

To: pmullen@telus.net, mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: British Registration number list
From: Kellmg@aol.com
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 12:53:24 EST
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Hi Guys,

First of all, thanks Pat for sharing Chris's site with us. However, I found
the registration list incomplete, unintentionally misleading and misinformed.
To point out just one of the items listed.

Manchester. [At the time in Lancashire, became Greater Manchester County in
the 'early '70's?'] Listed to the following letters, where as in fact should
be listed as;

BA- Salford. BN- Bolton. BU- Oldham. CB- Blackburn. DB- Stockport. DK-
Rochdale
EN- Bury. JA- Stockport. RJ- Salford. All Lancashire Boroughs except for
Stockport being in Cheshire at the time. [Now G. Manchester.] Salford being a
city.

As for the Oxford numbers,
FC, FO & WL- Oxford Borough.  BW,UD- Oxfordshire.

PA through PH- Surrey.

UF.- Brighton Borough. As a matter of interest, not only does the Kithead
trust hold records of this, 1925-'78, but also Lewes.

East Sussex Record Office,
The Maltings,
Castle Precincts,
Lewes,
East Sussex BN7 1YT.
Tel. 01273-482349. [Delete the "0" dialing from the states.]

Vintage Knowledge used to have a list of the UK registrations but I went
there today and can't find it listed now. [?]

My reference is Philip Riden's "How to trace the History of Your Car" 1991.
Paper back. 96 pages.

Regards.

Brian Kelly.
16 year ex-pat.