mg-mmm

Steering Column

To: "MMM List" <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>
Subject: Steering Column
From: "Lew Palmer" <lpalmer@roundaboutmanor.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2001 21:53:08 -0600
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
By the way, the reason I ask about the finish on that part of the
steering column is not that I am researching some tiny esoteric detail
of restoration. It's simply that the outer steering column tube on my PB
Airline is bent to the point that there is some binding with the inner
steering shaft. I figured it would be a simple job to press out the old
tube and press in a new one. But since the outer tube is to be chrome
plated, it would be easier to have both parts plated at the same time,
IF the shoulder were also to be plated. If the shoulder is left bare or
painted, I would wait until the new tube is chromed before reassembling
the two parts.

I have been giving some thought to locating an outer tube that is
already plated. Any thoughts as to a source? It is exactly 1.25" in
diameter, fairly thin walled,  and 48" long. The only thing that comes
to mind is possibly a chromed shower curtain rod.

Also, I am lucky to have all 5 windows in the Airline be the original
glass. Therefore, I have the original "Triplex Toughened" logo on all
the windows. Would anyone be interested in a small kit which includes
the pattern mask and a small bottle of acid etch to put the original
logo back on your (no doubt) replacement windscreen glass? If so, let me
know. I am considering having these kits made up.

Regards,

Lew Palmer
British Cars Web: http://www.team.net/sol