mg-mmm

PA front suspension issues

To: mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Subject: PA front suspension issues
From: DSBonar@aol.com
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2002 19:18:45 EDT
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
In starting to bolt up the front suspension, I find the Road spring front
mounting pin seems too short.

The pin is 3.14" from the base of the nut to the cone shaped end. Moss
pictures indicate there should also be a front pin tab washer between the eye
in the front road spring and the dumb iron. The pin passes through the spring
eye, the dumb iron and threads into the front chassis cross tube. There does
not seem to be a washer indicated between the outside of the spring eye and
the head of the fixing pin. Should there be?

Even without the tab washer, the pin is too short to reach the threads.

Springs seem to be correct for P types (although I wouldn't bet on it) and
measure 1.39" wide. Length and location of front shock absorber mounting pin
and trunion box to frame mounting seems OK during dry fit.

What am I missing? Incorrect pin? Incorrect spring?

Does anyone have a pin they could measure or ... tell me what I'm doing
incorrectly?

Thanks,

Don Bonar PA 1823