mg-mmm

RE: PA front suspension issues

To: "tom metcalf" <mgtom@bright.net>, <DSBonar@aol.com>, <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: PA front suspension issues
From: "Robert Grunau" <cgrunau@pathcom.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2002 21:31:16 -0300
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Don and Tom,
I'll bet the cross tube threads are stripped for the first 3/4' or so and
the pin threads will not reach good threads. Remove the cross tube and check
the tapped threads in the ends.
Everything else seems OK, including pin length. Mind you, I am basing this
on a TC but believe the front spring eyes are the same as MMM.
Regards, Bob Grunau
Don,

I don't have the parts in front of me but yours all sound reasonable size.
You do have the spring eye fully tucked up into the front knuckle, right?
The knuckle isn't over 3" wide - actually visualizing it, it seems like it
would be about 2 to 2 1/2" wide so your 3+" pin should protrude well into
the front cross tube. Am I missing something?? MAYBE the spring eye is a bit
wide to offer up into the knuckle and it needs ground down a fuzz?

One more thing...   the correct tab washers for MMM cars had the tabs at 90
degrees while the T-series (hence Moss Motors) are at 180 degrees. These tab
washers come from Dowley.

tommm

> In starting to bolt up the front suspension, I find the Road spring front
> mounting pin seems too short.
>
> The pin is 3.14" from the base of the nut to the cone shaped end. Moss
> pictures indicate there should also be a front pin tab washer between the
eye
> in the front road spring and the dumb iron. The pin passes through the
spring
> eye, the dumb iron and threads into the front chassis cross tube. There
does
> not seem to be a washer indicated between the outside of the spring eye
and
> the head of the fixing pin. Should there be?
>
> Even without the tab washer, the pin is too short to reach the threads.
>
> Springs seem to be correct for P types (although I wouldn't bet on it) and
> measure 1.39" wide. Length and location of front shock absorber mounting
pin
> and trunion box to frame mounting seems OK during dry fit.
>
> What am I missing? Incorrect pin? Incorrect spring?
>
> Does anyone have a pin they could measure or ... tell me what I'm doing
> incorrectly?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Don Bonar PA 1823

---