mg-mmm

PA Engine Bolt Threads, Etc.

To: mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Subject: PA Engine Bolt Threads, Etc.
From: "Daniel Shockey" <magnut_dan@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 02:44:21 +0000
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Hello, Fellow MMM's,

I am in the midst of rebuilding my PA engine. I had a rod bolt break (going
60mph on the freeway), putting the rod through its cylinder wall. I am
getting the block welded and probably sleeved.

Today I removed the 'sludge' plugs from the crank. The books say to cut
threads onto some Al stock and replace them. Can anyone tell me what threads
these are? I will need a die plus a tap to clean out the threads a bit.
Measures 15/16" OD and appears to be 20 tpi. I suppose it is BSW. Where is a
good place to get these? (I see S&V sells it by the inch.)

I bought some good, used "Allen" brand rods that look just like the
Carrellos. I have been told these use the Mini-Cooper S shell bearings. Is
this correct? (Does anyone know about this brand of rods?)

Also, my clutch plate is quite oiled. Is there a place in the States where I
can get new linings installed? (Or can I buy a new plate? The catalogs do
not list them. How well does baking the oil out work?)

On a related topic, I would like to replace the scroll on the rear flange
with a modern seal. The books mention doing this but don't tell what size
seal and what size to grind the threads off to. Anyone have this info handy?

Thanks very, very much.

Dan Shockey
San Jose, California
PA2108 (2-seater with what appears to be an originally green engine.)