mg-mmm

Re: J2 supercharging

To: "keith chetland" <kchetland@madasafish.com>
Subject: Re: J2 supercharging
From: "Pip Bucknell" <mgwizard@caloundra.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 07:32:43 +1000
Cc: "MMM List UK" <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Well, Keith, I can tell you some things.  And it is not an attempt to talk you
out of using such a nice item.

Certainly in this part of the world there is no need for the Ki gas pump. And
we didn't ever need it in UK when we took my car over for the world rally in
1996.  But it was at summer time.

I think the K3 manual describes how to use the Ki gas pump.  From memory, give
several pumps, screw down the pump handle & then press the starter.

Well, admitting that I am pretty dumb, and taking into consideration that we
do everything upside down down here anyhow, I ask myself what happens to the
vapour produced by the Ki gas pump whilst you are screwing down the pump
handle.  I can only come up with the assumption that if falls to the base of
the inlet manifold & becomes a liquid.  I guess it is not much use if those
thoughts are correct.

But forget all that.  I think you are right in saying that the Ki gas pump was
used in war time aircraft. They were still available in this country a few
years ago.  Another source of supply is from Massey Ferguson Tractors.  Both
the pump and the nipples.

When I was repairing my P-something about 12 years ago, a very nice friend in
Europe advised me that the Ki gas pump and misting nipples were available in
Switerzland (I think) and that they were fitted to Sawyer (or somerhing like
that) trucks.  I was so grateful to this friend who sent me a set of nipples.
We have some wonderful members in the MMM group.  The pumps & nipples were
also fitted to Minerva cars.

So maybe some of that will help point you in one direction or another.
Certainly you should be able to find the parts from tractors without very much
trouble.

Good luck & Good MGMMMing.

Regards

Pip