mg-mmm

RE: Identification of 4-Speed Gearbox on 1930 MG-M

To: "Lance Wayman" <l_wayman@yahoo.com>, <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Identification of 4-Speed Gearbox on 1930 MG-M
From: "Robert Grunau" <cgrunau@pathcom.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 10:45:09 -0400
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Lance,
The gearbox is almost certainly 4 speed J2. I have a spare box and it is
exactly as you describe, ie "Cast into the side of the box is the number
4768.  Below this is a diamond shaped box containing the letters BIRMAL and
below the diamond is cast the number 187383 0"
In addition, on the left side of the remote, beside the gear lever is
"4776, Birmal, 81604A".
The spare box and engine came out of J2, J-3646, engine 25763AJ, when some
previous changed the engine and gearbox to a Sprite.
Bob Grunau, J2, J-3017.