mg-mmm

Identification of 4-Speed Gearbox on 1930 MG-M

To: mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Subject: Identification of 4-Speed Gearbox on 1930 MG-M
From: Lance Wayman <l_wayman@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 15:24:18 -0800 (PST)
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Can anyone help me identify the 4-Speed Gearbox on my 1930 MG-M
(Midget)  It may be from a J-type or something, or even a Morris or ??.
 It is a perfect fit to the M type engine and there are no adaptors or
anything.  My understanding is that the 3-speed box was the standard
fitting for the M-type.

On the top of the gearbox behind the shift leaver is stamped 3/11

Cast into the side of the box is the number 4768.  Below this is a
diamond shaped box containing the letters BIRMAL and below the diamond
is cast the number 187383 0

Would appreciate any information anyone has, as I need to get a
replacement speedo angle drive gear that goes in the rear of the box.
Any suggestions of where to get such a part would be nice.

Lance Wayman