mg-mmm

MG PA Head

To: mg-mmm@autox.team.net, Mgbbk@aol.com
Subject: MG PA Head
From: DENKLEMM@aol.com
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 14:40:16 EDT
Cc: bputnam@powercom.net
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Hi All,
I've worked on a lot of different MGs and restored quite a few, but this PA
is by far the hardest! Here is the problem.

The head was cleaned, cracked tested and new seats and guides installed. New
exhaust valves were purchased as the intake valves were deemed as good. The
shafts of the intake valves are various lengths within a few thousands of each
other.
The exhaust valve shafts are all the same length as they are new. I assembled
the cam shaft, rocker shafts and rockers (exactly in the same order they came
off). The rocker bushings are set to they beginning position as directed in
the manual.

All of the intake valves are long (.006 clearance to the cam) by a few
thousands. OK, fine they can be ground. The exhaust valves are short. #1
cylinder by
.070, #2 cylinder by .045, #3 cylinder by .20 and the #4 cylinder by .012.

The machine shop is trying to tell me that the rockers are worn that much and
that different. I sure cannot see that big a difference comparing #1 to #4
rockers. Anybody got a clue as to what else to look for? Anybody got a drawing
of a rocker?

Confused and frustrated
Dennis
PA1518