mg-mmm

Re: unusual occurance

To: "Hiro Nishio" <hiro@octagongarage.com>, "'Bill Tantau'"
Subject: Re: unusual occurance
From: "Clive Sherriff" <clive.sherriff@ntlworld.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 15:45:03 -0000
Not only that, but a critical alignment is that the
Cam drive shaft must be absolutely in line with
the vertical centre line of the dynamo armature,
and that the dynamo bearings - especially the top
one, are in no way worn. If either are oyt then
there will me a "wobble" when rotating and the
resulting fatigue stresses will soon cause the
coupling to break - if not worse.

You will probably also need shimming spacers
to ensure that there is no bending in the coupling
due to vertical misalignment, and do this after also
ensuring that the two coupling yokes are exactly
parallel horizontally and correctly aligning
when they rotate

This seemingly simple fitting is in fact something
that needs graet care and not a little skill.

Whilst it's all apart, fit a modern oil seal to the
lower end of the cam drive housing if there's not
one there already, to stop the dynamo filling
with oil.  Afterwards do not forget to oil the
dynamo bearings periodically !  <G>

Clive
Oxford UK