RE: TD Brakes

To: "'Bud Krueger'" <bkrueger@ici.net>, streepey <streepey@jps.net>,
Subject: RE: TD Brakes
From: "Hermance, Jonathan" <Jonathan_Hermance@ATK.COM>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 16:19:05 -0700
After relieving any pressure that may be in the wheel cylinder by opening
the bleed screw and closing it again, try conservative tapping of the
emergency brake lever where it goes through the backing plate.  Try to move
the cable end of the lever toward the backing plate and the elbow of the
lever forward toward the front of the car - this might move the wheel
cylinder in its slot and back off the brake shoes if the adjuster(you
probably can't get to because the hole in the drum isn't lined up with the
screw head slot on the adjuster)hasn't bound itself up just past the maximum
point of adjustment.  A brake shoe may be rusted to the brake drum.  More
gentle persuasion with a "brass" hammer on the brake drum and some luck plus
lots of brake cleaner into the interior ofthe brake drum plus trying to move
the car backwards periodically should free things up sooner or later...
maybe.  This locking problem may indicate brake drums and brake shoes are
both too far worn to be safe.