Clutch Roller Bearing in MG B

To: mg-t@autox.team.net
Subject: Clutch Roller Bearing in MG B
From: "Bill Traill" <bill@clovermachine.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 1999 12:01:19 -0800
Stewart...stay with the carbon clutch bearing.

Like Syd I installed a clutch throw-out ball  bearing in my 1967 MG
B/GT. I was attempting to "bullet-proof" the drive train. Two weeks
later there was a great amount of noise when the clutch pedal was
pressed. I removed the engine/trans and there was absolutely no
sign of a throw-out bearing to be seen, no race, no balls or
pieces......just metallic dust!!!!!!

The B has a hydraulic clutch that may have kept the bearing in an
idling contact but I have not had a problem with carbon bearings
before or since.  I replaced that damn diaphragm spring clutch
plate with an MGA coil spring clutch plate and have run on the
smaller MGA carbon bearing for about 100,000 miles (280,000 total
miles on the B)

Bill Traill

Syd wrote:

Did that a few years ago on my B and it wasn't a few thousand
miles before one (or more) balls froze and I found myself with a very
simple steel on steel friction throw-out bearing.  It simply stopped
being a bearing!  I went back to the carbon/graphite one and have
never had a  mechanical problem in any of my cars.

Bill