Cost Estimate

To: MG <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Cost Estimate
From: Stuart Keen <simbafish@home.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 1999 21:19:39 -0500
Does anyone have an idea what it costs to remove an XPAG (MGTD) engine
and install a new crankshaft? I have all the parts (crankshaft,
bearings, seals, gaskets, bolts/nuts, etc.) and am just trying to
prepare myself mentally for the labor cost. I know cost of labor can
vary around the country (here it's about $45 an hour), but I'm looking
for a general ball park figure.

In addition to the crankshaft replacement, I'll have the machine shop
remove the head to check the rings, valves, etc. which I believe are
okay ( 3 months ago the XPAG passed a compression test). Some in our
local British Car Club recommend replacing the rings while the head is
off. New ones were installed 8,500 miles ago. Any comments?

Stu Keen
1951 MGTD MkII
simbafish@home.com