Re: Trying to change a Piston with Engine and Crank in Place (TD)

To: "Bob Howard" <mgbob@juno.com>
Subject: Re: Trying to change a Piston with Engine and Crank in Place (TD)
From: "David Tinker" <david.tinker@virgin.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 21:40:06 -0000
Hi Bob

I have read your note regarding the correct way round for pistons to be
assembled in the XPAG block and would offer the following advice.

The conrods must be assembled  correctly with the gudgeon pin clamp bolt on
the right hand side of the engine (ie on the same side as the starter
motor ). The main reason for this is lubrication. If you examine the conrod
you will notice a small  hole drilled on an angle into the bearing  and this
is intended to spray oil up inside the cylinder bore, getting its oil supply
under pressure from the main bearing when the angled drilling in the crank
journal lines up with this drilled hole. The ideal time to spray the oil on
the cylinder bore is is when the piston is at the top of its stroke
 maximum bore wall exposed ) and this will only occur when all is assembled
correctly. If your conrods are the wrong way round you may end up with
fairly rapid cylinder wear or seizure.

Regarding the correct way round for the pistons, as I understand it ,  where
it does not matter which way round the piston goes it is not marked with a
direction indicator. When it does matter ( ie where the piston has a split
skirt or some other feature ) the piston is usually marked FRONT. If there
is any doubt consult the manufacturer or supplier.

I hope some of this is of use to you and good luck.

David Tinker mailto:david.tinker@virgin.net, ,