Re: Trying to change a Piston with Engine and Crank in Place (TD)

To: Lawrie@britcars.com
Subject: Re: Trying to change a Piston with Engine and Crank in Place (TD)
From: TATERRY@aol.com
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 1999 11:35:57 EST
In a message dated 12/11/99 7:36:55 AM Pacific Standard Time,
Lawrie@britcars.com writes:

<< Lawrie
 British Sportscar Center
 (Who thought he'd made this clear about two weeks ago. Isn't it time for us
 to get back to the cat thread.............?)

I vote for the Mowog thread, we haven't done that one in a while!

When I was in college in the 50's, I had a TD with a collapsed
piston.....could only afford rings, and they would last almost a year before
they began to break up.  I then put the car up on a homemade hoist and pulled
the head and pan, took the rod and piston out from below, removed the broken
rings, shoved it up through the bore, put on the new rings, used a hose clamp
to compress them and carefully pushed the piston back down into its bore and
connected the rod to the crank.....soaked the head gasket in water to get the
asbestos to expand a little, head back on and off to school.....I think I did
this 3 years running.....I can still remember driving through the rainy
Louisiana back country operating the windshield wipers by hand and listening
to Jack Benny on the radio......
Terry