Re: Question

To: streepey@jps.net, mg-t@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Question
From: TATERRY@aol.com
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 00:01:15 EST
In a message dated 3/22/00 7:21:36 PM Pacific Standard Time, streepey@jps.net
writes:

<<
 My question ??? To conserve my 3 1/2 quarts of lead, what would you do??

 1)   Use at one ounce per gallon until its gone
 2)   Cut back and use every other tankfull at one ounce per gallon
 3)   Use one half ounce per gallon
 4)   All or none of the above.
 5)   PUNT - don't bother us >>

Lee, the answer is "none of the above"...take your lead down to the hazmat
disposal...drive your MG as much as you want.....some day in the far distant
future, when you need a valve job, have hardened seats put in....end of
story.  I find it incredible how much our British friends worry and fuss
about this no lead stuff.  If you ran an old engine without hard seats at its
max power point for hours on end, then you'd have to worry about valve
recession, but not our cars.  Don't forget, there was no lead in gasoline for
a very long time before they came up with Tetraethyl lead to raise the octane
levels....its protection of valve seats was just a lucky occurance.
Terry