Stalling when wet

To: <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Stalling when wet
From: "Dr. Moyce" <amoyce@pol.net>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2001 12:29:24 -0700
Had a misadventure yesterday from which I escaped, but wonder what the
listmembers think about what went on.

It was a beautiful day in the Bay Area, so I pulled the TD out of the garage
and washed it, then set out for San Franciso. Started and ran like a charm,
as it always does, but after about 5 miles on the freeway it started to act
up. First there was a momentary loss of power, as if someone had turned the
ignition switch on and off, then a mile or so later the engine stalled.  I
was on a downhill approaching the toll booth for the bridge, and it
restarted with some clutch popping, though it took a few sessions of four or
five seconds each at about 40 mph before it started.  Then, while inching
through the toll line, it stalled again. It didn't respond after a couple of
pulls on the starter (turned over, but didn't catch) so I pushed it off to
the side, where it started on the first try. Arrogance led me to carry on
the journey, despite heavy fines for stalling on the bridge. Had one stall
while slowing for traffic, but started right up with the starter.  We parked
for couple of hours in SF and it ran fine all the way home.
I have Pertronix ignition, so no condenser, and the coil is relatively new
Lucas Sport. When I got home I couldn't find anything amiss, except that the
positive battery cable (to chasis) was a little loose, the result of some
recent voltgage regulator adjusting and I hadn't retightened it. Fuel system
looks to be in order.
My best theory now is water in the electrical system, somewhere. If the
positive battery cable lost connection would that stop the car?

Andy Moyce
52 TD

///
///  mg-t@autox.team.net mailing list