A Low-tech Tale

To: mg-t@autox.team.net
Subject: A Low-tech Tale
From: "Bob Mitchell" <skunk149@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2001 08:42:40 -0400
>From: MGTD2@aol.com
>To: Wrtr@aol.com, mal.fay@toro.com, mg-t@autox.team.net,
>BenPrewitt@aol.com,   spridgets@autox.team.net, team-thicko@autox.team.net
>Subject: (no subject)
>Date: Mon AM
Thanx for the chuckle, John!  May I relate ano. "low-tech" anecdote? I've
been wanting to give a pal, who's from the UK, a spin in my TD, but
circumstances had thwarted this jaunt.   This Saturday, however, was
perfect, and we eagerly jumped in, after I removed the nylon dust cover from
the car. We backed out of the garage, then up my steep driveway, and had
"merrily motored" about 50 yards when the car bucked, and acted as if it was
running out of petrol. Not another engine re-build! My heart sank, as I
pulled over and switched off the engine. Lifting the bonnet, there were a
few shreds of blue nylon car-cover material on the pavement, near the
engine. Looking back down the road, wisps of blue littered the highway. A
crawl under the chassis revealed the mystery.
The fabric had found its way around the driveshaft, and looked like a blue
umbrella sheath wrapped around the entire length of the driveshaft. The tip
of the car cover must have caught on the front bumper or badge bar, was
dragged out of the garage, then swept under the car as it climbed the
driveway.
A true good samaratin stopped, used his Jeep as a "traffic cone", and joined
us under the car, armed with one of those remarkable Leatherman multi-tools,
but it took an hour to cut through the fabric, as it melted around the
juncture of the transmission rear and the universal, forming a perfect blue
nylon gasket.
We did manage lunch, in lieu of breakfast, and raised a glass to Murphy's
Law.