Wipers leak

To: MG <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Wipers leak
From: Stuart Keen <simbafish@home.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2001 13:40:36 -0400
I just completed 4,139 miles in my '51 MGTD MkII (GOF 72 in Painted Post, NY
and GOF XI in Hiawassee, GA). Came upon two HEAVY rain storms (FL and NJ).
Discovered water enters around the rotating shaft for the two wiper blade
arms, and then works itself through the mount to the other side of the
windscreen, where it then drips onto the dash (onto the tachometer on the
driver's side). How can this be prevented, how can the area around the
shafts be sealed? There are no washers or other seals present to replace. I
have today greased the holes and shafts, but have doubts this will solve the
leak in a driving rain. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Incidentally, there were NO MECHANICAL PROBLEMS during this trip. Oil
consumption was 1.75 qts for the entire 4,139 miles, fuel consumption was
27.35 mpg. The TD just had its 50th birthday last Wednesday, 10/10/01.

Stu Keen
Venice, FL

///
///  mg-t@autox.team.net mailing list