RE: Tappets, again

To: "Chip Old" <fold@bcpl.net>, "MG-T" <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Tappets, again
From: "Robert Grunau" <cgrunau@pathcom.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2001 17:27:22 -0400
I always thought the cam lobe was slightly forward of center on the follower
so the wiping action as the cam contacted the follower would spin the
follower. Usually most of the followers will show marks of spinning.
I never thought this idea of a slight taper on the cam lobe or dome on the
follower would last very long,
Bob
On Sun, 28 Oct 2001, Bullwinkle wrote:

> When a cam is properly ground, there is a slight taper or curvature
> put onto the lobes to cause the tappets to rotate.  If however the cam
> is worn or improperly ground this doesn't happen.  The correct repair
> is to replace both the cam and the tappets.

The "normal" technique is to put a slight taper on the cam lobes and a
slight dome on the tappet faces.  "Normal" is the key word here.
I don't know about the replacement cams and tappets currently available,
but the originals were perfectly flat-faced.  Bad design, prone to rapid
wear.

--
Chip

///