Re: It's the ignition, I think

To: Andrew Moyce <amoyce@pol.net>, mg-t <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: It's the ignition, I think
From: Skip Kelsey <kelsey@shadetreemotors.com>
Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2001 10:03:16 -0800
Andy:

I have seen Pertronix units fail, but rarely. I still think that the
problem is ignition at some point. If you have an ohm meter, you should meg
out each spark plug lead. Be sure that you do not have power on. Note the
restistance. If you have solid core wire, you should show zero resistance
or very near it. With resistance wire, you will most likely show about 5000
or so . The higher the number, the worse the spark. It acts like a water
pipe that is being pinched off.

Skip.............................................

At 08:30 PM 11/3/01 -0500, Andrew Moyce wrote:
>I took the the time this morning to go through all of my old receipts
>and ascertained that my cam is indeed a .012, so will reset the
>valves (currently at .016) when my back recovers.
>
>Terry Sanders was kind enough to open his spacious and well equipped
>garage and we tackled the performance problem.
>
>First baffling piece of info came from putting timing light probe on
>each sparkplug wire individually. . . . normal for 1 and 2,
>intermittent for 3 and no light for 4. Pulled the wire off the plug
>on 4 and there was excellent spark. Pulled the plug and observed good
>spark. Reversed plugs 3 and 4 and 3 failed to light the timing light.
>Replaced plugs 3 and 4 with used plugs from stock and got the same
>findings.  We cleaned the rotor and dizzy cap points and set the
>timing, then test drove and got substantial improvement.
>I resolved to replace rotor, cap, plugs, and wires.
>Got new plugs on the way home (NTZ B6) and replaced them and then
>took my favorite copilot and mother of my children for a test drive.
>All was fine for the first ten miles or so, but then it started
>acting up again. It would lose power (I think running on 3 cylinders)
>for a few seconds and then kick back in. It stalled once but started
>after a couple of clutch poppings. We stoppped for lunch and then
>headed home on back roads, with a few of these incidents along the
>way. Copilot commented that if one isn't really sure what you did to
>fix a problem, you probably haven't fixed it.
>I will take Skip's advice and go back from Pertronix to points and
>will replace the components as planned.  Do Pertronix units go bad?
>
>Andy
>52 TD, gettting better.

///
///  mg-t@autox.team.net mailing list