Re: It's the ignition, I think

To: amoyce@pol.net
Subject: Re: It's the ignition, I think
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2001 16:25:07 -0500
Andy,
  It's good news that you identified the camshaft. Running at .016 did no
harm and it was far better than running the .019 cam at .012.
  I keep hearing that if the Pertronix goes bad it dies, no stumbling.
That the problems are on 3+4 cause me to think the Pertronix is OK but
that the distributor cap is cracked.  Firing order is 1 3 4 2, so the
spark could be jumping backandforth between 3&4.  Is there any sign of a
hairline crack or a trace of a spiderweb-size carbon track inside the
cap?  Are you using real wires or modern supression cable?  The
suppression cable just can't tolerate being put onto and off the distrib
and plus, its delicate carbon core and mousefuzz insulation break up.  I
have black "Packard" cable and the original MG plug connectors and the
orginal distributor screw-clamps that pince the spread wire and washer
into the distributor cap.
Bob

///
///  mg-t@autox.team.net mailing list