Re: Water Pump Repair

To: Nels Anderson <nels@flightsim.com>
Subject: Re: Water Pump Repair
From: Bullwinkle <yd3@nvc.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 19:28:24 -0500
Nels:

Be very careful when installing the felt "seal" at the front
behind the drive pulley.  If any of the felt gets trapped
between the pulley boss and the "retaining cover" you will
think its all tighted up.  Then the pulley rocks ever so
slightly. and the jammed felt gets chewed out, and you have
a loose pulley.  You might also want to subsitute a self
locking nut for the castilated nut.  Also, I hope you are
aware of "Nuffields mad Metric" used on T types.  The
threads on most engine and transmission components are
French Metric all with Whitworth, (BSF) bolt heads or a few
British Standard Fine,.  I think the nut for the pulley is
BSF, while the bolts holding on the pump are 8 by 1 mm
French Metric with Whitworth bolt heads.  If I'm wrong, I am
sure somebody will correct me.

Blake
MG TD
MGA twin cam