fouled plugs

To: <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: fouled plugs
From: "Gunnell, John" <gunnellj@krause.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 08:50:01 -0500
   I'm the new owner of a 1951-1952 TD which appears to have a later (probably
1953) XPAG engine. Car starts and runs good but seems to foul plugs regularly.
It came to me with five sets of fouled plugs in tool locker. The set in the car
fouled last Friday (a rainy day). We replaced with emergency plugs (AC 44FF)
and the car seemed to run better but I was advised by the MG Club to buy a set
of NKG spark plugs. I changed plugs again on Saturday and the AC 44FF plugs
were already sooty.
   Am I looking at an engine teardown? Or is it a fuel mixture problem? Or were
the plugs just wrong for the car?

John Gunnell
Iola, Wis.