Re: Fuel warning light

To: Peter Thiel <pthiel@QuixNet.net>, <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Fuel warning light
From: "J.E.A. Rich" <mmmbob@adelphia.net>
Date: Sun, 06 Oct 2002 20:14:31 -0600
Peter,

The wire isn't really a shunt but a simple resistance to reduce the voltage
to the bulb and make it last longer. The wire is wound around the body of
the bulb holder and held in place by a couple of drops of varnish. After 50
or so years the varnish dries up and the coils of wire fall from the bulb
holder. If the the wire hasn't broken, gather it up and tape it to the bulb
holder, don't bother to wind it back on. If it has broken, don't worry, just
by-pass it with a piece of ordinary wire. Your bulb will simply glow a
little brighter but you probablly won't notice it. Any 12 volt, 2 watt bulb
with a threaded fitting will work. Moss sells them for some ridiculous
price.

Cheers, "Bob".