White Powder on Fire Wall

To: MG <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: White Powder on Fire Wall
From: Stu Keen <simbafish@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2002 12:13:33 -0500
About two months ago, after returning from my horrendous trip across
country, I thought my battery had boiled acid as I had white powder all over
the firewall of my MGTD. I cleaned up the mess with baking soda and then
repainted the fire wall. I think my diagnosis was wrong.

First, since the battery sits in a Moss plastic case, the only way the
battery acid could get out would be if it geysered and flew in the air.
That's not very likely since the two battery cell caps were in place.

I just looked again, and again there is lots of white powder under the
battery's plastic case where it sits in the recess, also there's white
powder where any two sheet metal parts come in contact around the firewall
or where there are bolted attachments, like the coil bracket, the horn and
oil pressure gauge piping. White powder at all these junctions.

Could this be evidence of electrolysis? The ground strap between the
transmission and chassis is in place, but perhaps it is a weak connection.

What could be the cause for the white powder on the firewall wherever any
two pieces of metal come in contact? A ground problem? How do you locate and
solve the problem?

Happy New Year to one and all.

Stu Keen
51 MGTD MkII