Warning - leaking replacement flexible fuel lines

To: MGT List <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Warning - leaking replacement flexible fuel lines
From: Kevin & Deana Brown <MGTRAutoXr@sprintmail.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2002 19:06:47 -0600
  Has anybody had trouble with replacement flexible fuel lines leaking
after only a few years?  Today went I went out to fire up the TF both of
the flexible fuel lines oozed gas through the braided metal coverings
along their entire length - fortunately I realized it before the car
started (I heard the gas dripping down on to the garage floor) otherwise
it could have been a disaster.  I just bought these lines from Just
Brits 3 years ago.  I drove it some the first year or so and then it has
been sitting for the past year and a half with the fuel drained from the
lines and carbs.  I am not impressed - especially since the lines cost
about $70.  I cut the fittings off of both lines and replaced them with
standard rubber fuel hoses and worm drive clamps.  I then stripped the
braided metal coverings off of both lines and found that both were
cracked and rotten along their entire length.  Also, the flexible
material that the lines were made out of was very thin compared to the
fuel hoses that I was replacing it with and was obviously made of
inferior materials.  Has anybody else had this sort of problem?  From
what vendors have you purchased lines that have worked?  I don't buy the
excuse that it's "today's gas" that is attacking the lines - that might
be the case if I was trying to use old lines, but these were only three
years old.  Also, I have several older cars and trucks ('39, '49 and
'70) one of which has flexible lines at least 30 years old, and I never
had this kind of problem.  In fact I used some flexible hose and clamps
off of a '51 GMC parts truck to replace the "new" high priced hoses on
the TF.  Thanks for your input.

It's supposed to be in the 60s tomorrow here in the Kansas City area, if
I get the brakes bled on the TF and the oil changed I plan to take it
out for a spin to celebrate the upcoming new year!

Kevin Brown
Odessa, MO
1954 MGTF 1500 RHD (1 of 19 RHD TF 1500 export models produced in 1954)