XPAG timing chain tensioner

To: mg-t@autox.team.net, mg-tabc@egroups.com
Subject: XPAG timing chain tensioner
From: Bill Putnam <bputnam@powercom.net>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 09:18:05 -0500
Has anyone experienced problems with an aftermarket timing chain
tensioner getting stuck in the retracted position?

When I pulled the engine apart last year, I noticed that the timing
chain tensioner was in the fully retracted position and the timing
chain somewhat slack.  By tapping the tensioner slightly it popped
back out and engaged the timing chain.  The engine has had, and still
has a noise, kind of a rattle/buzz that is intermittent.  At first
I thought it was the chain that holds the oil filler cap to the valve
cover, but when I was
adjusting the carbs and revving the engine I realized that wasn't
it.  It will make this sound inconsistently at around 3,000 rpm and
above, and the sound will stop after a few seconds idling.  Listening
up close to the engine the sound appears to be coming from the timing
chain area.
I'm now wondering if this tensioner is getting stuck in the retracted
position as the engine revs, and then at a slower speed pops back
out and engages the timing chain.

Thank you,

Bill Putnam