oil feed to rockers

To: <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: oil feed to rockers
From: "Douglas Ormrod" <douglas.ormrod@neurological.org.nz>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 10:06:44 +1300
Hi listers

I am currently fitting the exterior bits to my totally rebuilt 53 TD engine
and have a question regarding the oil feed that takes the oil up to the
rocker chamber. The fitting that secures the upper banjo into the head has a
long screw threaded through it, secured by a locknut on the outside. It is
just slightly narrower than the hole through the fitting and protrudes about
1/4". The chap who rebuilt the engine said this was sometimes done to
restrict the oil flow to the rockers as some regard it is excessive. He
suggested if I was worried about it I could file a flat onto the screw.  Any
thoughts on this - should I remove it completely, file it or leave it? Is
their really two much oil up there? I have fitted the later type of oil pump
with the replaceable filter.

Thanks

Douglas