Re: oil feed to rockers

To: Douglas Ormrod <douglas.ormrod@neurological.org.nz>
Subject: Re: oil feed to rockers
From: Dave & Liz DuBois <ddubois@sinclair.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 14:52:32 -0800
Douglas,

I think that you will see varied opinions regarding restrictors in the
oil lint to the head.  My opinion is to remove the screw entirely.  If
the oil pressure gauge is attached the bottom (block end) of the line,
the oil pressure that you read will be much more accurate and there will
be no need for any restriction at the top end.  As to excessive oil flow
to the rockers, this is the way it was designed and if the valve stems
are not worn excessively, the valve guided are sized properly and the
seals in the correct position, there should be no worries about
excessive oil consumption as a result of lots of oil to the rockers.  As
I stated, this is my opinion.  It is based on 29 years of driving our TD
with the stock set up on the head with stock oil seals and no restrictor
on the oil line.  We drive the car somewhere between 5000 and 10,000
miles a year and usually with the tach hovering right around 4200 RPM
and have never had excessive oil consumption except for when the
cylinders were worn out.  A rebuilt corrected that.

Good luck,
Dave