Re: Engine Red and Wheel Silver

To: wtsnyder@juno.com
Subject: Re: Engine Red and Wheel Silver
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 09:49:09 -0500
Bill,
    The rattle cans labelled for Ford Argent are a good match for MG's
silver wheel paint.  For the engine, it's hard to tell.  Check the
various Rust-Oleum reds.   Nobody really knows what the engine color was
originally, fading of paint, fading of ink, etc. all being involved.
Moss has probably put more effort into getting a match than anyone else
has or could, yet even they have to contend with slightly different
colors in batches of red.  And MG faced the same problem, to be sure.
What the heck, it takes only one can to paint the engine, especially if
you have the aluminium finned sump that most people prefer to have in
shiny metal.
   The MC on my car was painted black.  Original paint is still pretty
good. You have access to wipe off spillage when filling the MC, so if you
get it off within a few minutes and then wipe with water-wet rag, paint
will hold up OK.
Bob