Hard Shifting Into Third

To: "Mg-T List (E-mail)" <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Hard Shifting Into Third
From: "Parkinson,Ron" <RParkinson@AMESTEXTILE.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 09:13:19 -0400
Great sages of the list,

I just drove my TD for the first time after completing a 12 year restoration
and have a couple of issues:

1. Most importantly it won't shift from 2nd to 3rd.  It is as if it is hitting
a gate.  It shifts fine into 4th and fine from 4th back to 3rd.  The
transmission was just rebuilt before I bought the car and I have the bills but
maybe it was not rebuilt right.  I don't remember the problem driving it
briefly before I took it apart.  Could it be wear in the selector rods or the
balls where it attaches?

2. Is there a better inside door latch than what Moss sells.  I peened over
the stamped square piece of cast white metal where they had stamped the
corners but it didn't make it home without the outside door handle spinning
free.

Other than that and a wheel weight that had fallen off it's 130 mile virgin
trip from the frozen north where the upholstery was done was perfect.  I am
sure I will have more questions as I have more experience with it if you don't
mind.

Ron Parkinson
Newton, MA

 <mailto:rparkinson@amestextile.com> mailto:rparkinson@amestextile.com