Hand Crank Mystery

To: mg-t@autox.team.net
Subject: Hand Crank Mystery
From: Nels Anderson <nels@flightsim.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 14:39:56 -0400
A while back I bought a engine hand crank on eBay, since my 1953 MGTD
did not have one. With spring here, I finally got around to ordering
some mounting clips from Moss and was about to start the installation
only to find that the clips are much too big. I did confirm that Moss
sent me the right part number so now I'm wondering, do I really have the
right crank for my car?

I have checked it, and it will engage and turn over the engine so in
that respect it's correct. I have found a couple of photos of the crank
mounted in TD's and they look fatter than the one I have and I also
noticed that the pins on the end that engage the engine are 90 degrees
offset from mine.

The main shaft of the crank is about 5/8" in diameter. The clips look
like they are set for a diameter of about 7/8".

So what do I have here? Is this really a TD crank, or is it perhaps
meant for a different but similar car?

--Nels Anderson
  1953 MGTD