Re: Hand Crank Mystery

To: Nels Anderson <nels@flightsim.com>
Subject: Re: Hand Crank Mystery
From: Bud Krueger <budkrueger@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 15:34:11 -0400
Nels,
Pasted here is a response that I got from Jim Haskins when I was trying
to determine the difference between a TD crank and one for an MGA:

Bud.
Sorry this took so long. Can't find my vernier capiper so these are eyeball
measurements. Starting at the end of the crank that engages the engine.

The end has a 45 degree taper starting at 3/8" increasing to 5/8". One half
inch back from the tip is a cross pin about 3/16 dia. that engages the dogs
at the front of the engine. The 5/8" diameter portion of the crank continues
for about 1" and then tapers up to 3/4" diameter for the remainder of the
crank. Fromt tip to the outside of the first bend is 22 inches. The offset
to the outside of the crank handle is 7 3/4 inches. The grip end is 5 inches
overall with the last 3 1/2 inches covered with a closed tube that is swaged
onto the handle so it will turn in your hand.

    Hope this is enough so that you may distinguish which crank is the right
one. I believe mine is the stock item because I obtained the car complete
with original owners manual and a partial tool set. Someone had kept things
together.

Safety fast,

Jim Haskins
As you can see, 3/4" is the diameter of the crank for most of its length.

Bud Krueger