Re: fuel monitor - always out

To: "Gunnell, John" <gunnellj@krause.com>
Subject: Re: fuel monitor - always out
From: Bud Krueger <budkrueger@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 08:49:22 -0400
John,

The original wiring for the fuel light is: one of the green wires
attached to the A4 fuse terminal goes to one of the terminals on the
lamp socket.  Current then goes through the lamp filament and through
about 70 ohms of resistance wire wrapped around the lamp socket to the
other terminal on the socket.  From there a green w/black tracer wire
goes to the rear of the car, along the left side of the chassis to a
single bullet connector.  From there another wire (ideally green/black)
goes to the terminal on top of the low fuel warning switch.  When the
fuel gets low a contact inside of the switch gets grounded to complete
the circuit and illuminate the bulb.

Your 'always on' symptom would lead one to suspect that the green/black
wire is shorting to ground on its way back to the switch.  Or, that the
fuel warning switch is stuck in the grounded position.  Checking the
switch is fairly easy.  Go under the back of the car and locate the
'petrol tank unit'.  The wire should be going to a terminal on top of
the exposed portion of the unit and is held in place by a bakelite thumb
nut.  Remove the wire.  Does the light go out? If so, and there's more
than about three gallons of gas in the tank, the unit is stuck in the
closed position.  That'll require removing and  replacing/refurbing the
unit.

If the light doesn't go out with the wire removed from the unit, the
green/black wire is shorting to ground somewhere between the lamp socket
and the back of the car.  That's a matter of tracing out wires until you
find the culprit

If tapping on the dash can cause the light to go out, you may have a
loose screw connection at the lamp socket.

Hope this helps.

Bud Krueger
52TD
Plymouth, MA