sick engine

To: <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: sick engine
From: "Curtis Cook" <ccook@ColoradoCollege.edu>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 20:57:56 -0600
Listers-  I pickle my TF-1500 in the winter -- plugs out, Marvel Mystery
Oil in the cylinders, etc.  I just unpickled, beginning with turning the
engine over without plugs until the oil pressure came up.  Then I started
-- RPMs went up sharply as I was at full choke.  A few seconds later, an
alarming shearing noise -- like cutting sheet aluminum -- so I shut her
down.  The starter would not crank it over then, either.

What I find, so far, is that the engine is very difficult to turn over.
Even with plugs out and valve train relaxed, all my aging muscle and an
18-inch lever on the handcrank just does it.  Moreover, the resistance
when I turn the crank is irregular, almost ratchet-like, and I hear
squeaking noises.  The starter can crank the engine over, minus plugs and
valves, but only with great effort.  All pistons and the cam are moving as
they should.

What has happened?  I suppose I am faced with a tear-down, but what can I
expect to find?  -Curtis (in Colorado)