Door repair on my Singer

To: <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Door repair on my Singer
From: "Eugene D Abbondelo" <eabb@loc.gov>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 16:29:22 -0500
Someone on our Singer bulletin board mentioned that a typical fix for a door on
an MG TD that's warped was to use a rod and turnbuckle fastened diagonally
across the inside frame of the door and tightened to bring the door flush with
the bodywork.  Can someone tell me if this is correct on my car, and if so the
correct procedure?  Here's my problem:

The doors on my 1949 Singer roadster would be very similiar in construction to
the MG T-series:  an ash frame covered in sheet metal (on the Singer its
aluminum)  Both my doors are warped outwardly at the bottom corner on the latch
side below the door handle.  It amounts to about 1/8 of an inch where the door
stands proud of the bodywork, so its quite noticable.  I'm afraid of trying to
press the door in at the bottom for fear of creasing the aluminum.

Can I fit a rod and turnbucle diagonally from the bottom problem corner to the
opposite side top and tighten it and thus bring the bottom of the door flush
with the bodywork?

Any help appreciated!

Gene