Re: Door repair on my Singer

To: Eugene D Abbondelo <eabb@loc.gov>
Subject: Re: Door repair on my Singer
From: John Seim <kingseim@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2006 09:47:47 -0800
The MG door was equipped with a diagonal metal strap, that was screwed
into the wooden door frame. It extended  from the front top area, to the
lower wooden section, near the lower hinge. While this might not look
like it, it effectively was a turnbuckle.  By taking a crescent wrench,
adjusting the jaws to be tight on the strap, then placing a drift in the
ring end of the crescent wrench and twisting, shortens the length of the
metal strap. You can bring the lower edge of the door closer to the body
tub, by performing this technique. I have seen people install one or two
diagonal cable and turnbuckle assemblies inside a door frame.
John Seim
Irvine, CA