Re: Resolution: Help! No Electricity!

To: "S. Allen" <scottallen3663@gmail.com>, mg-t@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Resolution: Help! No Electricity!
From: Blake Urban <yd3@nvc.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 23:45:17 -0500
Scott:

<<<Snip>>>
Can a mal-functioning reg short a cell in the battery?
<<<Snip>>>

I thought of that option after my email. The control box serves two
functions. That's why there's two coils inside.

1) Voltage regulator
2) Cutout

The cutout disconnects the generator's field windings from the battery
when the generator's output falls below 12.5 volts. That's when the red
light comes on. It also serves to keep the battery from going dead by
running the generator's field coils when the engine is off, thus
draining the battery. Once in my lifetime I had a cutout malfunction but
it wasn't on a T series. It would probably take 5 or more hours to
flatten a good battery after the engine was turned off if the cutout
isn't working.

Regards,
Blake