Re: TD Fuel Pump

To: "Blair J. Weiss" <blair@ifd.mv.com>, mg-t <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TD Fuel Pump
From: Kevin Gunther <beeltee@optonline.net>
Date: Tue, 08 May 2007 08:21:57 -0400
----- Original Message -----
From: "Blair J. Weiss" <blair@ifd.mv.com>
To: "mg-t" <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Sent: Monday, May 07, 2007 9:54 PM
Subject: TD Fuel Pump

> Listers  -
> Went to fire up the TD after sitting in the garage all winter. I first
just
> checked the ignition to see if I had to open the bonnet to attach the
> battery cable... yup... fuel pump started ticking really eratically. BTW,
> this is the electronic version of the SU pump...

A problem that boaters have been having throughout the country, particularly
in the Northeast, is the ethonal(sp?) being put in gasoline now.  During
long periods of inactivity, it tends to absorb water and also dissolve gunk
from the inside of the gas tank.  It also affects gaskets and other rubber
parts.  It deposits dark material in carbs and other places in the fuel
system.  It also dissolves some fiberglass/plastic gas tanks.his is VERY
dangerous in a boat, since fumes tend to gather in the bilge.  Check for
some of these problems with your fuel system.
I personally had over $600 in repairs to the fuel system in my Honda
outboard due to ethonal in the gas.  It only affects engines that are left
sitting for months at a time, which would usually include old cars and boats
in storage.

KG