Re: head tightening

To: ddubois@sinclair.net
Subject: Re: head tightening
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 08:45:12 -0400
 This procedure continues to be debated.
  I have always loosened, then tightened, but recently we was told by an
assembly chief at Pratt & Whitney that they don't loosen--they tighten
the nut as they find it.   Some say that as the gasket has already
compressed a bit, that the loosening then tightening is not needed.  P&W
engines are worth a couple of million bucks as they go out the factory
door, but I don't suppose they are working with chunks of cast iron as we
are....
Bob